09 March, 2010

Why should you ski Ste Foy? - A personal opinion by Bryan Hogg



Well, why not? You will no doubt have been to some (if not most, possibly all) of the big resorts nearby (Val d’Isere/Tignes, Les Arcs, La Rosiere) and therefore driven by the end of the road to the ski station of Ste Foy.

If you look at the piste map there are four main lifts, which let's be honest, does not seem like very many...but and its a BIG but, the amount of good skiing they access is fantastic.
The piste skiing is very good. In fact the Grand Soliet blue run from the Marquise lift is one of the best teaching runs I know. There is also a good selection of reds and an excellent variety of terrain.
But if Ste Foy is famous for anything it's the off piste. Within the area of the piste map there are acres of easily accessible terrain just waiting for you to try, and for those for whom off piste skiing has seemed a little scary or serious, rest assured that there is something for you here too. Beside the pistes are some first class areas to get you used to being off the groomers and once your confidence is boosted the possibilities are almost endless.

Escaping the ski area is very easy. From the top of the lifts a short traverse takes you to routes that get very little traffic and fresh tracks can be found days after a snow fall. For the more energetic there are plenty of routes if you don't mind a short hike. Trying doing that in the mega resorts.

I can give a great example of how quiet Ste Foy can be. Towards the end of March 2009, after a snowfall of 40cms or so, I took advantage of a rare day off and went for a ski in the new snow. When I had looked out of the window at 7.30am it was cloudy and snowing, so I went back to bed but when I looked out again at 9 the sun was beginning to break through so I headed up the hill. A couple of runs in the trees then the Aiguille lift to the summit.
I cut into the off-piste and broke trail across to an untouched area. Really good snow which broke onto my chest and all to myself. I took another run and made the second set of tracks down the face. Where is everybody? Before the next run, I stopped for a sandwich and a coffee, back onto the lift to do it again. I was prepared to have to traverse further to get fresh tracks, but no need. I laid down the third set of tracks.

You may now be beginning to realise why I like it here!

Being a small resort means that there is not a huge selection of accommodation. The best place in my opinion is situated on the main road just a short drive below the resort. The Auberge sur la Montagne owned by Sue and Andy MacInnes is comfortable, friendly and war. The TV room is perfect for video feedback as well as for watching a movie when you want to think about something other than skiing! The hot tub and sauna are very welcome after a day on the slopes. They also provide a minibus to transfer skiers to any of the surrounding resorts. Mountain Tracks use the Auberge for all the courses and it works very well.

There is easy access to Les Arcs, La Rosiere and Tignes/Val d'Isere and we try to get to as many as possible during a week’s course. The great advantage is that pretty much regardless of the weather we have places to go and there are numerous opportunities when the sun shines.

I like it so much I base myself here for the winter and I can't offer a better recommendation than that.

Here are a selection of photo's from our recent Off Piste Performance Foundation Course lead by Bryan. Thanks to Peter Bell for the great shots.

If you want to experience Ste Foy for yourselves why not join us for our Tarentaise Explorer week in mid-April. This tour will be led by Nick Parks who first skied in Ste Foy in the mid-80s and knows the area as well as any locals. For details click on
http://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/winter/explorer/tarentaise_day_tours









No comments: